Monday, January 4, 2010

Increasing Food Prices

I do most of the grocery shopping for my household and I have noticed over the years ever increasing food prices and an ever increasing rate of change of food prices. For example in one year alone, cheese has gone up $2 for a 600g brick. The year before that it went up about a dollar. I am beginning to wonder when the "cost of food curve" will flatten out and allow wages to catch up.

I am what one would call an "aware" consumer. I voraciously read flyers and try to buy things only on sale. I do appreciate the "Christmas" sales that temporarily lower prices and that is when I stock up. Naturally fresh food cannot be stocked up on but you can limit what you buy to a more essential and traditional list. I live in a colder climate and hence fresh vegetables and fruit are at premium prices during the winter months.

I tend to eat as my parents did in the winter months by relying heavily on potatoes, turnips, carrots and any vegetable that can be frozen. To supplement my diet I take vitamins and minerals, including large doses of Vitamin C, D and E and with this I have noticed a significant increase in energy.

With all of that said, I am wondering what the food prices will be in the future. How will my children be able to afford the basics in life? Are we all going to have to go back to subsistence farming just to get by or are we going to become fully indentured servants to corporations and the government - the two main consumers of the outputs of all of our activities...

No comments: